My wife hit another home run with this recipe! Quite honestly doing lasagna like this is 10x easier than doing lasagna the normal way AND it's a lot easier to serve. What I love about lasagna is it's easy to put together and you can make it ahead of time. You can either put it together and bake it when you want it OR (the way I like) bake it, cool it, and then reheat it. Pasta always tastes better after it sits for a day or so, all of the great flavors meld together....yummy! So give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Prep time: 45 min | Cook time: 45 min | Total time: 1 hr 30 min | Yield: 12 lasagna rolls
- 12 uncooked lasagna sheets
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic, minced
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 oz) ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 handfuls fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a deep saute pan over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion till soft. Add the ground beef and stir to break up the meat. Season meat with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper. Stir and cook meat until browned. Drain meat of excess grease and then add your crushed tomatoes. Lower heat to a simmer and simmer for about 10-15 min.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook pasta in a pot of salted water according to package directions.
- In a mixing bowl, add the ricotta cheese, half the mozzarella, half the parmesan cheese, a handful of parsley, egg, salt and pepper. Then mix well.
- To assemble the lasagna rolls, lay the sheets out an parchement or wax paper. Spread the ricotta cheese mixture along the sheet, then spoon some of the meat mix on each sheet as well. Roll up each of the lasagna sheets individually.
- In the bottom of the backing dish, spread a thin layer of the meat sauce. Then place the lasagna rolls in the dish and top with some more meat sauce. Spread the remaining mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and parsley evenly over top.
- Cover the dish with foil, making sure it's not touaching the cheese and bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes.