Slow Cooker Chili
Holy cow...I just realized I haven't created a blog post since May 11th...SHAME ON ME!! While there is no excuse for not blogging for 8 months, it's not like I have been sitting around on my butt doing nothing. So, lets see what has been happening?? Probably the biggest deterrent for maintaining my blog is just being a father. I have literally never done anything as rewarding as being a dad and it has just been so much fun watching my little boy grow up...he just turned 1 year old on the 6th and I still just can't get over that.
Lets see, what else has come up...ohh yeah...I got a new job in August! I am now a Territory Manager for the second largest, and best, broadline food distributor in the country, US Foods. It definitely felt time to make a change and the opportunity presented itself, so I jumped at it and absolutely love my decision. Given my love for food, cooking, and the restaurant industry....it just fits my personality so well.
Not too much else has come up, except for 2016 ended up being a great sports year, and great year in general for me. The Pittsburgh Penguins won the Stanley Cup, Penn State Football beat Ohio State and won the Big 10 Championship (Which I attended and it might have been the greatest sporting event that I have attended). One thing that hasn't changed is that I am still cooking like crazy and the good news is I probably have 8 months worth of blogging material ready to share! So without further ado, lets talk about this Slow Cooker Chili recipe. There isn't anything crazy about this recipe, but it is a goodie and is perfect for this time of year. One thing that I did discover is, like pasta, cooking the veggies, beef, and spices all together in a pan and then letting them meld over night before throwing it all in the crockpot really intensifies the flavors. So, if you have time, I recommend doing that to really elevate this recipe. Good luck and let me know what you think!
Slow Cooker Chili
Prep time: 45m | Cook time: 6-8hrs | Total time: 45min | Yield: 6 servings
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, medium dice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, medium dice
- 6 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pickled jalapenos or green chilies, drained
- In a large sauce pan heated over medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil. Cook the ground beef until browned. Add in the diced onions and red pepper, cooking until softened. Then add in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and salt; cooking until fragerant. Optional: Let the spiced meat and veggie mixture cool, then store in a container and refrigerate overnight.
- Add the spiced meat mixture, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and kidney beans to a crock pot. Cook for 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Stir in the pickled jalapenos and season with salt as need. Serve with cheese, thinly sliced scalions, and sour cream.