Grill Pork Chops
Just like buying quality, buying quality pork is imperative to have a delicious and tender product. Everybody is familiar with black angus when talking about superior beef, it's one of the main breeds of cattle that is associated with quality. So, what breed of hog should you be buying given the opportunity? Duroc Pork is your answer! Black Angus to cattle is what Duroc is to pork...it's the bee's knees!
Durocs have become a sire of choice to the American farmer. The climb of the breed has been accelerated by many distinguished accomplishments in longevity, lean gain efficiency, carcass yield and product quality as a terminal sire. Durocs are identified as a superior genetic source for improving eating qualities of pork in the recent National Pork Producers Council Terminal Sire Line Evaluation. Their advantage in muscle quality combined with their well-established ability to grow fast has positioned the Duroc breed as an outstanding terminal sire choice.
Now that we have established what breed of pork you should be buying. Lets talk about cooking that beautiful piece of pork! Now you can most definitely just season and cook. But, I like to marinate my pork chops. The other extremely important factor is cooking temperature. People tend to over cook their pork, like A LOT. But, plleeaasseee stop doing this. You can cook your pork to a 145F or medium rare and be absolutely fine! Trichinosis hasn't existed in pork in like 30 years, so for the love of God. STOP OVER COOKING YOUR PORK!! :)
Grilled Pork Chops
Prep time: 5m | Cook time: 10min | Total time: 2h 15min | Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 Bone-in pork chops, around 12 oz
- Mix water, soy sauce, vegetable oil, lemon pepper seasoning, and minced garlic in a deep bowl; add pork chops and marinate in refrigerator for at least 2hours.
- Preheat outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove pork chops from the marinade and shake off excess. Discard the remaining marinade.
- Cook the pork chops on the grill for 2-3 min and then rotate 90 degrees. Cook another 2-3 min and then flip to other side and repeat. Cook until Thermapen MK4 reaches a temperature of 135F. Remove from grill and let rest for 10 min.
Cooking your meats to the perfect temperature is crucial not only from a food safety stand point, but from flavor and tenderness stand point as well. Make sure you cook your pork, like in this recipe to 135F. The best way to accurately monitor the internal temperature of your meats is by using a Thermapen MK4. They are the most durable, accurate, fast, and reliable thermometer on the market. These are a kitchen MUST HAVE! Go buy yourself a Thermapen MK4 today!