The sacrifices I make for this blog....time for a story. Everybody just has those days that everything is going absolutely fine, no problems, just a normal day. I come home and start making dinner, this beautiful veggie pizza with a balsamic reduction...it's so good. There is nothing hard about this recipe, everything was going great! Then out of nowhere, I accidentally hit my small sauce pan full of boiling, hot, balsamic vinegar. Of course, since the pan is a smaller one and doesn't have very good balance, it falls off the burner and 2/3 of this molten hot liquid goes all over my hand, leg, and kitchen! It did NOT feel good at all and since my balsamic reduction has brown sugar in it....it was stickier than crap! Luckily I didn't get burned too bad and luckily it hadn't reduced enough yet to be a syrup.
So, the pizza, like I said, this is a really simple recipe that just has a ton of great flavors. Any time I make a pizza I always go with my New York Style Pizza Dough or my Whole Wheat Pizza Dough . Of course you can use your favorite pizza dough, but I'm telling you once you try those dough's, they will become your favorite! Of course I will never make a pizza ever again with out my trusty Baking Steel and if you don't have one you need to click on that link and buy one right now because you will NOT regret it. On to the recipe!
Veggie Pizza w/ Balsamic Reduction
Prep time: 15m | Cook time: 30m | Total time: 45m | Yield: 1 pizza
- 1 pizza dough, homemade or store bought
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and cut into circles
- 1/2 red onion, julienned
- 1 can sliced black olives, 2.25oz
- 1 cup balasmic vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- Preheat oven and baking steel to the highest temperature your oven will go (550F in my case).
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat, add in a tablespoon of olive oil. Then add your veggies in and saute until softened, about 5 min. Season with salt, pepper, and a little ancho chili powder (optional).
- Add the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to a small sauce pan, bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium. Let reduce to 1/3 cup, about 10 min.
- Flour a pizza peel and then stretch pizza dough into a circle on pizza peel. Before adding topping give the dough a few shakes to get it moving. Add on sauce, cheese, and veggies. Slide pizza onto baking steel and bake for about 5 min or until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbling. Drizzle some of the Balsamic Reduction on top, cut, and serve.