How are you all doing? I feel like such a bad blogger, but with my new job I've been working so much and then coming home to work on my training books. Then on top of it all I'll be spending 4 weeks in St. Paul, MN which is also apart of my training. But, I've been doing my best to create posts and keep connected with everybody! Hopefully in May once I get officially aligned into my position my schedule will be a little more solidified...because right now my schedule isn't really up to me.
One of my favorite meals growing up was pizza casserole. Being the pizza connoisseur I am, anything pizza is perfectly fine in my book! Just like most casseroles, this is incredibly easy dish to throw together and like a lot of pasta dishes definitely wouldn't hurt being made the day before and reheated to meld all of those wonderful flavors together. This is an incredibly satisfying dish that I am sure will pick you up after this incredibly depressing winter weather we are experiencing! Spring can't come fast enough!
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 40 min | Total time: 1 hour | Yield: 8-10 servings
- 1 Can tomato sauce (29 ounces)
- 1 Can tomato paste (12 ounces)
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 Red pepper, diced
- 1 lbs Italian sausage, loose
- 1 lbs Rotini pasta
- 1/2-1 lbs Sliced pepperoni
- 1 lbs Shredded mozzarella
- 6 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- In a large saute pan with lid, cook sausage until cooked through and brown. Add in red pepper and cook until softened. Add in the tomato sauce mixture, cover and reduce to a simmer.
- In salted water cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a lightly greased 9x13x3 inch pan, pour a small amount of sauce to lightly coat the bottom.
- 1st layer - 1/2 pasta, 1/2 remaining sauce, 1/2 lbs mozzarella cheese, 3 Tbsp of Parmesan cheese, and then cover in sliced pepperoni.
- 2nd Layer - remaining pasta, remaining sauce, remaining mozzarella cheese, remaining Parmesan, and then top with sliced pepperoni
- Place casserole in oven and bake for 40 min. Let set for 10 min before serving.