Recipe Revisited: Sausage and Peppers Pasta
This one of Lee and I's favorite pasta dishes. It's one of our go-to week night dinner options because it is so easy to make and it makes a lot. Typically for us two this will feed us for two meals. What I love about leftover pasta dishes is for some reason it always taste so much better when it's been sitting in the fridge for a day or two and then reheated. Typically if I have time when making lasagna, I like to make it a whole day before it is served, let it sit in the fridge and then reheat. All the wonderful flavors in most pasta dishes meld together nicely over time and just taste awesome when reheated.
Sausage & Peppers Pasta
Prep time: 5 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 25 min | Yield: Serves 4
- 3 cups Penne pasta
- 1 lbs Hot Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 Green pepper, sliced
- 1 Red pepper, sliced
- 1 Yellow pepper, sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 14.5 oz can Diced tomatoes w/ green chilies
- 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, add your sausage and brown. Add in the sliced betters and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Add in the minced garlic, mix to incorporate, and cook until fragrant. Add in the canned diced tomatoes and stir until well mixed. Reduce to a simmer.
- Cook pasta as per box directions in boiling salted water.
- When the pasta is al dente, thoroughly drain in a colander and transfer to the dutch oven with the sausage and peppers. Mix until fully incorporated. Add in cheese and mix again until incorporated. Remove from heat, cover and let cheese melt.