I know I know...this is my first post since March 24th. But, I had to take a brief hiatus because there was just so much stuff going on. I'm sure a lot of you sympathize that sometimes life just gets in the way sometimes...or maybe not in the way just chaotic (in a very good way). But don't worry my fellow bloggers and followers I am still alive and well. I finished up my grueling 4 month training with Ecolab and am official on my own. Lee and I finally got settled into our own apartment and we are finally into a somewhat normal routine now. So, in short, life is going great!
Now that I am finally into a somewhat normal life again, I have gotten back into the kitchen and started creating. But, I decided to take a few weeks to get a pipeline of recipes in the bank so that I can post consistently. One thing is true, I sure did miss Happy Valley Chow and I hope you guys have missed me. With that being said, lets talk about this delicious Cuban Burger.
For Christmas my mother-in-law got me one of those burger stuffers and I finally got around to giving it a try. I've been toying with this idea of a Cuban Burger and I finally decided to pull the trigger and make it. It's a ground pork burger, stuffed with swiss cheese & Canadian bacon, finished with a Chipotle Mayo, pickles, and a cuban style slaw. It's definitely a perfect summer burger, especially if you want to change it up from your traditional burger. Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Here's a little slide show of my life the past 4 months:
Cuban BurgerTotal time: 1 hours | Yield: 4 Burgers
- 3/4 cup Orange juice
- 1/2 cup Lime juice
- 1/3 cup Fresh oregano leaves, minced
- 2 Large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 1 bag Coleslaw Mix
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Chipotles in Adobo
- 2 Lbs Ground pork
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 4 slices Canadian bacon
- As needed Dill pickle slices
- 4 Kaiser Rolls
- Combine the orange juice, lime juice, oregano, garlic, cumin, sugar, and canola oil in a small bowl whisking to combine.
- Add the bagged coleslaw mix to a gallon size zip lock bag and add in the mixture. Toss to combine and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In the bowl of a small food processor add the mayo and chipotles, puree until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to build burgers.
- In a larger mixing gently combine the ground pork, beaten egg, salt, and pepper. Then add a heaping 1/3 cup of pork to a burger stuffer or burger mold. Create a well in the burger, add a 1/4 cup shredded swiss cheese and a slice of canadian bacon. Top with 1/4 cup pork and seal the burger. Repeat the process until you have 4 burgers.
- Heat a grill or saute pan to medium heat and cook burgers until the internal temperature reads 155F.
- To build burger, place the bottom burger buns on a plate, start with chipotle mayo, add a few pickle slices, add your burger, add your slaw and top with the bun top. Enjoy!