So here is Part Two from last weeks Guacamole Post. The flavors of this recipe is definitely on point, I feel it tasted exactly like a Chipotle Burrito Bowl (Just wish I cooked the rice a little better). I guess really the only thing is convenience, it's a lot easier to just go buy a Burrito Bowl at Chipotle. I think where this recipe would shine is if you had a party or if you have a larger family and you could have people build their own burrito bowls.
One thing that I did learn though is a really easy substitute for Chipotles in Adobo. Me being the bone head I am, forgot to grab a can for this recipe. So I did a little googling to find this substitute that worked out really nice. You simply mix 1 Tbsp Ketchup, 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika, 1/2 tsp Cayenne Powder, 1/2 tsp Cumin, and a pinch of oregano. It worked surprisingly well! Permanent substitute? No, but an easy fix with some common household ingredients for sure. On to the recipe!
Prep time: 1hr | Cook time: 30min | Total time: 1hr30min | Yield: 4 portions
For the Chicken
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the Rice
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- kosher salt to taste
For the Toppings
- 1 cup black beans, warmed
- 1 cup charred corn (canned or frozen), warmed
- 1 each red and green pepper, julienned and sauteed
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup pico de gallo, or salsa of your choosing
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, finely shredded
For the Chicken
- Combine the vegetable oil, chopped chipotle peppers in adobo, garlic powder, cumin, dried oregano, and black pepper in a small bowl, stir to combine.
- Place the chicken in a large zip top plastic bag and add the marinade. Zip the bag and mix the chicken into the marinade. Place in the fridge and let it marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat a large saute pan or outdoor grill to medium high heat. Place the chicken on the cooking surface and cook 5 to 6 minutes per side, until the internal temperature reads 165F. Remove chicken and let rest for 10 min. Chop the chicken into small bit sized pieces and use as needed.
For the Rice
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the white rice and lime juice and saute for 60 seconds to toast the rice.
- Add the water and bring the rice to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low and cook until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed.
- Add in the cilantro and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Arrange equal parts of the white rice and chopped chicken in 4 bowls. Top with equal parts of the black beans, corn, guacamole, fajita peppers, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper as needed and serve immediately.
Cooking your meats to the perfect temperature is crucial not only from a food safety stand point, but from flavor and tenderness stand point as well. Make sure you cook your chicken, like in this recipe to 165F. The best way to accurately monitor the internal temperature of your meats is by using a Thermapen MK4. They are the most durable, accurate, fast, and reliable thermometer on the market. These are a kitchen MUST HAVE! Go buy yourself a Thermapen MK4 today!
Sharing is caring...
I cannot even believe that Thanksgiving is two weeks away. This fall has absolutely flown by! Ever since the wedding the past few months have been such a blur. But, I am sooo excited to be graduting from Penn State in a little over a month and am ready to FINALLY be gainfullied employeed. These next couple weeks are going be even crazier though as I have been applying for jobs like a crazy person, trying to wrap up the end of the semester with way to many things to do, and then also trying to find a new home in Fort Wayne, IN. It might be a little hectic, but I am so excited and ready for the next chapter of my life.
With that out of the way lets talk about these monster sliders! With Thanksgiving approaching, I wanted to make something that was a little different. Sure this might not be your traditonal Turkey Day item, but I guarantee you it tastes like an entire turkey day feast in sandwich form. They Feature Bacon-Sage Turkey Burgers, Pumpkin-Chipotle Aioli, Cranberry Relish, and Stuffing Waffles. So unbutton your pants, kick back the recliner and woof down one of these Turkey Day Sliders!
Bacon-Sage Turkey Burger Ingredients:
· 2 Tbsp sage, finely chopped
· ½ tsp salt, more to taste
· 1 lbs ground turkey
· 4 slices bacon, pureed
· Ground black pepper to taste
Pumpkin-Chipotle Aioli Ingredients:
· ½ cup mayonnaise
· 3 Tbsp canned pumpkin puree
· 1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
· 1.5 tsp apple sider
· 1 chipotle in adobo
· Salt and pepper to taste
· 1 cup sugar
· 1 cup water
· 12 oz frozen cranberries
· 1 tsp orange zest
· 2/3 cup butter
· 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
· 1 cup celery, finely chopped
· 10 cups soft white bread cubes, ½”
· 1 cups fresh parsley, chopped
· 1/2 tsp pepper
· 2 tsp salt
· 1 tsp poultry seasoning
· 2 egg, well beaten
· 1/2 cup chicken broth
For the turkey burgers: Combine all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and gently but thoroughly combine. Form into 6 - 3 ½” wide patties. Place in refrigerator until you are ready to grill.
For Pumpkin-Chiptole Aioli: Combine all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth, adjust seasoning as needed.
For Cranberry Relish: Combine sugar and water into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add the cranberries and orange zest and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cool, cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble burgers.
For Stuffing Waffles: Heat butter in a large skillet. Add onion and celery, sauté gently until soft. In a large mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients with sautéed vegetables. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions. Preheat waffle iron to medium-high heat. When heated spray waffle iron with cooking spray and then add stuffing mixture. Cook until golden brown, about 5 min. Cut into quarters, these will serve as the “bun”
To Complete Sliders: Grill turkey burgers over medium high heat until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove from grill. Top waffle quarters with cranberry relish, then add your turkey burger, drizzle with aioli, then top off with final waffle quarter. Makes 6 sliders total.